Sunday, November 05, 2006

9 "The difference in the two of us comes down to the way you rise over things I just put down"



the nineties was a good decade, the movies, the books, the spirit, and above all the music,
i spent my first 16 years in suburban Kirkenes, trying to find out what there was to this world,
i don´t know if it´s harder or easier now, but this was pre Internet.
So MTV was one of the inputs i had, and it was here i was introduced to Grant Lee Buffalo, and their "Mockingbirds",
that video hit me both musically as well as it confirmed my idea of something that i like to think of as the aesthetics of the nineties,
so i went to buy the album; "Mighty Joe Moon" after having that song in my head for some time, but the album wasn´t all what i had wished for,
it took me years to figure it out, but some how this made it even more interesting coz it challenged me, i had to spend time with it, and this was a new
way for me to relate to music,

the way i see it has changed over the years, but it´s qualities as a great rock album will always stay put,

see you next Sunday.

yours,

Herr Wollmann

p.s.

finally finding Mighty Joe Moon on vinyl in Barcelona was one of the happiest day this year.

6 comments:

Lilly said...

Oh man, for me the 1990s were brilliant too musicwise. I guess I like a lot of stuff from earlier decades, but during the 90s I had myself reached an age where I was old enough to go to concerts. LIVE music added that extra dimension to a given band or artist. That was something else! :-D I moved to London which is where it was at at the time -- perfect timing! Just before the underground movement turned into Brit Pop. Good days. Lots of good concerts; almost every other day for 2 years. I think that's why I am half deaf today!! LOL!

Espen Nersveen said...

Now this artist I have an easier way to understand that belongs a place in your list, I went to a concert with Grant Lee Phillips in Trondheim, accustic. But he played lots of Buffalo-hits. Great artist even though I almost never listen to it anymore.

Herr W said...

lilly:i know i lost my hearing in the 90th too on a Sepultura concert, in 96...
the 90th was great, i would have loved to be in london at that time, and of course one would loved to be in london at any time in the last 40years; when punk broke, the psycedelic period in the late 60s and so on. im so happy for you that you were there you #%@&!!!! haha
espen;i saw grant lee phillp in bergen on the same tour in bergen and it was crap, but i still love the album, and his solo things but that concert was bad,

room217 said...

Jeg har tatt forsvinnende få av mine musikkpreferanser med meg fra nittitallet. Sikkert en skam og en skandale.

Herr W said...

hehe, are you sure, ive seen your cds you know,
im afraid that there might be more music from the 90s in the list...

Lilly said...

Jep jep jep, HW! ;-P